We hope that you will join us for a once-in-a-lifetime experience in Permaculture design!
What is a Permaculture Design Course?
Our course will focus on the core permaculture design curriculum. It will focus on the creation of landscapes that respect ecological patterns and remain diverse and multi-functional. We like to think of our ranch as a living classroom. You will be studying the environment around you, as we integrate lessons and lectures with hands-on activities. The purpose of this particular course explores design solutions for human habitats.
Given our location in the tropics, the course will focus on design work for this climate. However, we will incorporate temperate climate design and implementation. At the end of this course, participants will work together to produce a complete permaculture site design.
Who is this course designed for?
We have designed this course to be of interest to anyone interested in regenerative futures. Additionally, we welcome professionals in the fields of architecture, ecology, education, farming, community development, and planning.
Permaculture design is a holistic process and can be applied to many different aspects of community. Participants will leave with the tools to redesign their surroundings, whether it be gardens, farms, houses, and communities.
Topics covered include:
- History of Permaculture
- Principles and Ethics of Permaculture Design
- Design Methodologies and Site Analysis & Assessment • Pattern Languages in Culture and the Landscape
- Reading the Landscape and Pattern Recognition
- Simple Mapping and Surveying Techniques
- Client Interviews and Goal Setting
- Map Reading
- Master Planning and Design Presentations
- Climate and Microclimate Design
- Water: Cycles, Catchment, Ecology, Conservation, Treatment
- Greywater and Blackwater Systems
- Earthworks, Pond Construction, & Water Storage
- Soils: Biology, Ecology, Fertility Strategies
- Biochar, Biofertilizers, Mulching, Biomass Production, Microorganisms Cultivation, Compost Making
- Introduction to Keyline Design and Holistic Management
- Gardening from the Tropics to the Temperate Regions
- Orchards Management and Agroforestry
- Plant Propagation, Grafting, Nursery Management
- Silvopastoral and Aquaculture Systems
- Fermentation, Post Harvest Handling, and Harvest Strategies
- Shelter and Siting
- Natural Building Techniques
- Urban and Suburban Permaculture Applications and Case Studies
- Energy and Appropriate Technology: Photovoltaics, Biodigester Design, Alternative Cooking Models
- Regenerative Economic Models
- Social Structures, Decision Making, and Community Organizing
- Professional Designer Project Case Studies
Unlike the Permaculture yoga retreat or the permaculture surf retreat, the Permaculture design certificate is not a vacation. This course includes 72 hours of instruction, which includes a lot of hands-on, physical work. Upon completion of our course, you will be qualified to teach an ‘introduction to permaculture course’, much like the one we offer here.
BOOK NOW FOR 2020
Inquire about future workshop dates: here.